Thursday, May 6, 2010

Supple's Nitty-Gritty......1 (711)

How many times we have seen each other exclaim, ‘I have become so fat’. Recently Mohit’s status stated that he gained hell lot of weight when he was at home. Most of us gain weight at an incredible rate when we are at home. Even though, we might be eating the same regular meal that we always eat. Sitting in office today, utterly jobless that I am, I was wondering why this bizarre phenomenon occurs?

A lot of things come up, whenever we discuss gain of weight at home. Apparently food is good, so we end up eating more is one of the prime reasons, which is always stated. But think of it, even at home you do not overeat at every meal. You eat till you are full and same thing you did in college. In fact while in college, you ended up eating way unhealthier food than what you get at home. Still it is at home that you gain weight, and not in college (certain exceptions always occur). You might say that it is because the food is cooked in ghee, but how often is that the case?

In my four years of stay in B.I.T, I gained around 2 kg of weight. And six month since, at home, I gained another 4 kg. And in my 2 month stay in Chennai I gained an awful 6 kg.

This got me wondering what was different in my BIT stay as compared to my stay in other places. In Chennai I was not getting home food, the food was same as college, I was regularly playing basketball and walking (exercising and sweating) way more than what I do, either at home or in college. Yet I ended up gaining more weight as compared to either home or college.

From above I concluded, it was not the physical exercise that had been controlling my weight in college, nor was it because the type of food I got. There was something else, something different, and something that everyone had overlooked over the years.

And than it sunk in, the only difference between my habits in Chennai and college were, in Chennai I used to order my own food and eat it from my plate. Whereas, in college, hardly did I ever order food. Sharing was my motto. And I always used to eat from other people’s plate. In order to name the people on whose food I have lived my college life, I will need a whole new blog. It would start from Ravs, Mota & 2k5 rise upto Akku , Amit in 2k2 and slope down to Akash , Tauroski in 2k7.

In college it had become a second nature for most of us to see food in other’s plate and consider it our own. There were always people who ordered their own food. And these people somehow gained more weight than compared to others.

From this I conclude a fact: Your body will not absorb cholesterol if you take it from another person's plate. This indeed means that if you keep eating from what other people order, you will not grow fat.

Even during school days, students who share their tiffin and don't eat their own are generally thinner as compared to children who just eat only their own tiffin.(Mota is an exception here, he used to share tiffin but ate major part of all the tiffins that existed in class including his own.)Any other exceptions in the school days that occur , maybe because the children have only 1 meal in school to share and rest at their home, which cannot be shared forcing them to eat from their own plate.

I will give yet another example to back this fact. Ever wondered why most girls are thin when they are going out and become fat when they are single? Or why they gain weight at a lesser pace when they are in a committed relationship? And why for guys, weight doesn’t really depend on any such factor?

Think about it!!!

P.s : People with increased metabolism rate like Sharad, Gogin are exceptions to this theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers